[Mesorah] HQBH

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sat Nov 25 17:15:32 PST 2006

> When you say Qaddish from the amud, do you say "shemei
> deQudshah-Berikh-Hu", with QBH strung together, the way we
> usually say "haQadosh Barukh Hu", i.e. as an idiom? Or, do
> you say "shemei deQudshah, berikh Hu", in line with the
> Ashkenazi minhag of responding with the two last words?

Among my pet peeves are those who consider Hakadoshbaruchu to be one
of His names. One word, six syllables, accent on the "ba", no "h"
between the "ruch" and the final "u". I wouldn't be surprised if
someday I saw it hyphenated.

I try to say it as three distinct words, with the accent on
the "dosh".

Back to the OP: Mechaber 56:4 says for the shatz to bow at "brich
Hu". To me, that seems to indicate a comma preceding it, as the OP
write in the seifa.

Shameless plug: Orach Chaim 56 is an excellent source for those who
want to know how to say Kaddish properly.

Akiva Miller