[Mesorah] Articulation Question

Joel Miller w2tq at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 10:46:46 PST 2006

Near the end of David's post (3rd paragraph from the end), there is a
statement that Breuer does not have a meteg.  In my copy (4th printing,
5754) there is a meteg under the yud in yachla in Bereishit 34:7 (and a
mafsik).  Similarly, in the Hebrew University Keter Yerushalayim
(copyright 2000) (red cloth binding).  Perhaps there is an error in my
copy and the Keter relied upon the same source.

What started this is that Tikkun Simanim, Tikkun Ish Matzliach, and
Tikkun Korim Chorev (which follows Breuer) all show the shva under the
chaf in yachla in Shemot 2:3 as a shva na.  If I read the Breuer Tanach
correctly, then the kamatz is kattan.  Except for the m'sharet accent,
the two cases (Ber. 36:7 and Shemot 2:3) seem inconsistent.

Joel Miller
973 736 8306