[Mesorah] Hamotzi lechem min ha'adama???

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Dec 3 20:05:29 PST 2006

In a message dated 12/2/2006 6:23:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
br at ettyketty.ch writes:

Good  Woch!
My 5 ½ years old grandson asked  the following question:
Why do we say: bore pri ha'adama -  but: hamotzi lechem min ha'aretz?
Why not: bore pri ha'aretz, or:  hamotzi lechem min ha'adama?
As I so far have no answer, I  forward the question to our chaverim on
MESORAH.
- Berysz  Rosenberg

My apologies if I am saying something that has already been said and/or is
trivial, but it seems to me that there is an obvious difference.   Vegetables
can be eaten as they are (or with minimal preparation), whereas bread  does not
grow from the ground.  Hashem "brings forth bread" in the sense  that He
provides the raw ingredients, but those ingredients require a great deal  of
processing before bread is produced.  One might translate "hamotzi  lechem" as "He
is the ultimate Cause of bread."

--Toby
--Toby  Katz