[Avodah] Wine

Ben Bradley bdbradley70 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 13 13:45:50 PDT 2024

Some of you may know that one of my pet peeves was that I was taught that
the reason that wine was watered down in talmudic times was because wine
was much stronger back in the day

In my Latin lessons at school we learned exactly the same about Roman wines, that it had to be diluted to be potable. It was just a given in the texts we were learning.
That was not in any Jewish context at all.
I have no insight into the science of winemaking past and present. But the historical sources seem consistent.