[Avodah] women kaddish

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 25 13:54:24 PDT 2024

On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 09:06:27AM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> I've heard R H Schachter say that women saying kaddish can't be on the
> other side of a permanent mechitza but must come on the side with 10 men
> when saying kaddish...

This was how Beis Brisk reports the Minhag in Vilna.

If a niftar only left daughters, a daughter would say Qaddish for him
at the entrance to the men's section.

See also IM OC 5:12, who also says it's an old minhag. Makes it sound
more universal than Vilna specific.

And R Yosef Henkin (and yes, I mean R Yosef, not our late member, the
BB, who often addressed this kind of topic) says that now that we have
multiple mourners saying Qaddish, there is more reason for a woman to
say it too.

In contrast, REMT wrote on these "pages" that the only heter for
having multiple aveilim saying Qaddish is that saying Qaddish pushed
the avel to show up for minyan. Many men who were lacksidasical minyan
attendees started attending 3 times a day during aveilus, and keep on
going afterward.

Which means that since women aren't obligated to attend minyan, would
REMT allow a woman to be another Qaddish zogger if there are others?
(I'm BCC-ing, and we will see if he replies.)

>                      I believe he also said that there should be 10 (or 9?)
> men answering for each person saying kaddish. Has anyone seen these
> positions actually practiced?

Here's my difficulty with this idea...

Qaddish doesn't actually require a minyan present. You can say Qaddish
after a section of tefillah or a shiur if there was a minyan for the
event itself, even if they left before Qaddish! All you really need for
Qaddish is 6 people who were part of a minyan for the event itself.

(I am struggling to know what that says about the definiition of a
davar shebiqdushah.)

Yeah, surprised me too. I commented on it on-list when this cycle of
AhSY got to that din (OC 55:7).

So how could you need a minyan for each person saying it (whether or not
you count that person) if you don't need a minyan of people answering
to begin with!

The Kaf haChaim (55:31) requires 2 people who aren't saying Qaddish,
so that "Ve'Imru Amein" has some meaning -- ve'imru being a plural of
people being addressed. So in a minimal minyan of 10 people, he allows
up to 8 people to say Qaddish.

Micha Berger                 The thought of happiness that comes from outside
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   the person, brings him sadness. But realizing
Author: Widen Your Tent      the value of one's will and the freedom brought
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    by uplifting its, brings great joy. - R' Kook