[Avodah] Pirkei Avot chapter 2 mishna 9

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 17:40:09 PDT 2024

In Pirkei Avot chapter 2 mishna 9 the question is raised as to what is the
most important characteristic that one can attach to. Rabbi Simon says that
it’s the ability to foresee the results of your current actions.

Rabbeinu Yona explains that the reason that this is so important is that
when one sees the eventual reward and punishment for each of their acts
they will never sin. I would add that if one takes this seriously then not
only will they never sin, but they will organize their activities so as to
maximize the master of the universe's satisfaction with their actions..

I‘d also add that if this is so obvious why do people sin? I would submit
that it may be related to what behavioral economists refer to as hyperbolic
discounting where people give more weight to rewards or costs that are
closer in the present than those that are farther in the future. (i.e.
they’ll take a dollar today rather than $1000 in a year from now.) or is it
that we don't fully believe in reward and punishment? Thoughts?

KVCT and Bsorot Tovot

Joel Rich