[Avodah] Lost and Found

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 14:52:39 PDT 2024

I recently heard a story of a rabbi who found a prayer book that somebody
had left behind in the synagogue. He opened it and saw post it notes with
personal reflections on some of the prayers. This raised several questions
in my mind. A prayer book left in the synagogue, is that considered a lost
object that you must try to return or should you assume that the owner will
come back for it? If the former, is one allowed to do anything but look for
identifying marks (but not read the notes)?
Bsorot Tovot
Joel Rich