[Avodah] Happy Day

Joel Rich joelirarich at mail.gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 15:12:48 PDT 2024

[I mis-moderated RJR's email by letting it through with no way for people
who can't see the Hebrew to see the quoted text. Here it is again,
but this time I am remembering to add a link.
-micha]

The Gemara taanit 31a gives one of the reasons that the 15th of av is such
a happy day is because they finish cutting the wood for the wood pile in
the temple. The Rashbam says the joy was because it was a completion of a
very big mitzvah, Rabbeinu Gershom says that it's because up to now they
could not be learning tora during that time of cutting and now they could.
When we look at devarim 29:9-10, we see that the wood choppers in general
were slaves.

More than that if we look at yehoshua 9:21 and 23 we see again that the
wood choppers were slaves, and it makes the specific reference to the
temple and the gemara in yvamot 89a-b makes the connection clear.

I supposed we could reconcile these by saying that the slavery was
related to the temple times, but not necessarily in the temple or that
the joy was due to the mitzva but not who did it, but neither of those
make me particularly happy. A lead from my son led me to this:

[If you're subscribed in digest mode and can't see the Hebrew, go
to Tosafos Yom Tov, Taanis 4:4 "qorban musaf ein bo bene'ilah"
<https://www.sefaria.org/Tosafot_Yom_Tov_on_Mishnah_Taanit.4.4.3>]

úåñôåú éåí èåá îñëú úòðéú ôø÷ ã îùðä ã
÷øáï îåñó àéï áå áðòéìä. áéøåùìéí ìôé ùäéå èøåãéï áîåñó ùéù áå ìä÷øéá
áäîåú éåúø îúîéã ùäåà àçã. àéï ìê îåñó áìà ùúé áäîåú åìà äéä ìäí ôðàé
ëìì ùäëäðéí ùì îòîã èøåãéí áîåñó. åéùøàì ùáäí äéå èøåãéí ìçèåá òöéí
åìùàåá îéí. åãåçä àôéìå ãðòéìä. òë"ì øù"é. åàó òì ôé ùäâáòåðéí àùø ìà
îáðé éùøàì äîä ðúåðéí ðúåðéí ìçèåá òöéí åìùàåá îéí ìáéú àìäéí ëãîôåøù
áñôø éäåùò (è') éúëï áòéðé ìåîø ùæäå ìöåøê òåáãé äî÷ãù ìáùì ÷øáðåúéäí
åùàø öøëéäí. åôéøåù ìîæáç ä' ãëúéá áéäåùò ìòåáãé äîæáç àáì ìîæáç òöîå
ìà äéå îðéçéí ìâáòåðéí ìçèåá òöéí åìùàåá îéí. åàéï ðøàä ìçì÷ áéï çèéáú
òöéí åùàéáú îéí ãì÷øáï îåñó åãì÷øáï äúîéã. åùàø ä÷øáðåú. åáòæøà ñé' ç'
ëúåá åîï äðúéðéí ùðúï ãåã åäùøéí ìòáåãú äìåéí. éù â"ë ìôøù ìòáåã òáåãä
ìöåøê äìåéí. ëãé ùäìåéí éäéå ôðåéí áîìàëú òáåãú ä':

Any Thoughts, especially on "éúëï áòéðé" [yitachein be'einai]?

Bsorot Tovot
Joel Rich