[Avodah] time away from learning?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Jul 14 13:32:18 PDT 2024

On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 06:33:26AM +0300, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> The gemara (sukka 53a) records some herculean juggling by some leading
> rabbinic figures (R shimon ben gamliel, levi, shmuel and abaye). Would you
> assume this skill took practice or was it a supernatural gift. If the
> former, what does that imply for our time allocation priorities?

Even if it was natural skill, we still don't know.

Maybe in theor culture, kids liked practicing juggling. In which case,
the adult tannaim or amoraim could have just kept it up while engagimg
in chazarah, just to stay limber and healthy.

R Eliezer / Dr Leon Ehrenpreis was one of the top mathematicians of his
generation. His levayah was an eclectic mix of Orthodox Jews and fellow
mathematicians. (Obviously, overlapping sets.)

A member of his department gave a eulogy that began with how they met.
The speaker entered his office in Temple U for a job interview, and faced
a pair of feet. Looking down, there REE was, standing on his head, and
juggling. Apparently, seeing if he could solve problems while distracted
was part of the interview.

REE also ran the NY Marathon every year ad ve'ad bikhlal reaching 79!

I don't know if these members of Chazal shared his priorities, but I want
to reiterate that he didn't stop thinking Torah in order to practice
these other pursuits. (Even math... his non-Jewish co-workers reported
Torah comming up often in their discussions.)

Micha Berger                 It's never too late
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   to become the person
Author: Widen Your Tent      you might have been.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                    - George Eliot