[Avodah] dibbur

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed May 15 11:11:26 PDT 2024

On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 05:59:43AM +0300, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> The Rambam in the peirush hamishnayot (Avot 1:16) categorizes types of
> dibbur. 1. Mtzaveh (commanded) 2. Asur (forbidden) 3. Maus {disgusting} 4.
> Ahava (beloved) and 5. Mutar (permitted. How do you understand 4 -- Is it a
> mitzvah or an inyan (and the flip for 3)? Is HKBH indifferent in cases of
> 5.?

I see (3) and (4) being things that could be assur or a chiyuv under
Hilkhos Dei'os, if the person is at a level where that kind of speech
is a reasonable "stretch goal" that they ought to be trying to avoid /
to speak.

In that, I take it that Hilkhos Dei'os boils down to "Thou shalt strive
to be a better person than you are today." Which would include avoiding
being miusdik and trying for that which is ahuv by the Borei. But these
can't be hard goals, because they depend on where you are currently
holding and what direction you are right now capable of growing in.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 22nd day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   3 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Chesed sheb'Netzach: Do I take control of the
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF               situation for the benefit of others?