[Avodah] inspect one’s property

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Wed May 8 04:50:31 PDT 2024

The Chafetz Chaim in Seder Olam chapter 11 takes the Gmara in Chulin 105
concerning Shmuel and how often to inspect one’s property as a metaphor for
how often to do a cheshbon hanefesh (self- introspection). He foreshadows
Rabbi JB Soloveitchik’s loneliness in realizing that in the end, even
though you have a loving family, you are alone with HKBH. A lot of great
mussar concerning how we spend our time, especially with the outside
influences even from close family members. One point that really struck me
was when he said, “and even if you do some good thing, did you really
intend it for HKBHs honor or maybe only to glorify yourself? This applies
even to torah or prayer.” I can’t help but think of all the blind spots we
have as individuals and communities and how often we may confuse personal
drivers with what HKBH wants of us. To me the best defense is to actually
listen to what others have to say (Paging bet hillel always stating bet
shamai first – as R’ M Rosensweig says – that wasn’t about winning the Bing
Trophy but about hearing others and considering other viewpoints before
coming to a final conclusion)
Kach mkublani mbeit avi abba
Any thoughts?
bsorot tovot