[Avodah] Arbaa Turim - rows or columns?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 8 10:03:46 PST 2024

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 11:18:33PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> On the one hand, [almost?] every English translation of these pesukim
> renders "tur" as "row". On the other hand, the major halachic code prior to
> the Shulchan Aruch was named "Arbaa Turim" (presumably named for these
> pesukim), which is not only universally translated as "Four Columns"...

So, later research showed -- machloqes rishonim.

I am wondering what this does to Qabbalah that associates shevatim with
particular stones and their color. Do the rishonim who define "tur" as
column also expect the named of the shevatim to be written in columns?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 "As long as the candle is still burning,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   it is still possible to accomplish and to
Author: Widen Your Tent      mend."
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF        - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter