[Avodah] Arbaa Turim - rows or columns?

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 19:20:34 PST 2024

In Avodah V42n14, RAMiller noted:
> I found the answer. As I somewhat expected, it is a machlokes.... <
...and I can read M'lachim Aleph 7
<https://mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt09a07.htm>'s "tur[im/ei]" as referring to
columns, but unless I misunderstood the commentators I looked at this past
Shabbos, at least some interpreted "row(s)" rather than "column(s)."
Checking MG AlHatorah <https://mg.alhatorah.org/Full/Melakhim_I/7.1#e0n6>
now, seems like commentators interpret "turei amudei" (verse 2ff.) as
columns and "turim" (verse 12ff.) as rows -- if so, a "tur" is basically a
straight line [of something] that could be horizontal or vertical,
depending on the context; and thus re the Choshen, either row or column
could apply (except that by the time of Yirm'yahu haNavi, a columnar "tur"
would have an "amud" modifier to distinguish it :)).

P.S. RAM, were you going to 'reply to Avodah' with the answers you heard at
the Hashkama Kiddush re *k'lavim* (and other animals) being 'reward'ed? :)

All the best from
*Michael Poppers* * Elizabeth, NJ, USA