[Avodah] tzedakah collector

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 08:20:25 PST 2023

.
R' Micha Berger wrote:

> My feeling is that while kavvanah trumps distubances, once
> you know the man is trying to raise money from you, you were
> already disturbed.
> Ignoring his plea is not continuing kavvanah, but a conscious
> decision about the collector. No less so than any other response.

True, the kavana is already broken.
True, the reaction and disturbance is a conscious decision.
But the conscious decision, at first, is merely an internal thought.

It has not yet manifested as any sort of external action. To do some sort
of action in response to the tzedaka collector would seem to be the same as
taking an action in response to the snake that has crawled onto one's leg.

And then I looked at that halacha. Mishne Berura 104:10 seems to hold that
even if the snake is non-poisonous, the only prohibition is speaking: One
must not ask a friend to remove the snake, but he may do so himself,
silently. If so, then by analogy, I suppose one WOULD be allowed to hand
some money to the tzedaka collector.

Akiva Miller