[Avodah] tzedakah collector

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Dec 13 09:15:26 PST 2023

On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 01:58:29AM -0600, Brent Kaufman via Avodah wrote:
>> I think that not responding at all,
>> as though kavvanah trumps answering him, is inappropriate.

> Why is it inappropriate? You don't owe him a response, nor is it even
> halachically appropriate to respond/react.
> Also, if kavana doesn't trump disturbances, why are we davening?

My feeling is that while kavvanah trumps distubances, once you know the
man is trying to raise money from you, you were already disturbed.

Ignoring his plea is not continuing kavvanah, but a conscious decision
about the collector. No less so than any other response.

So, I would see the question as being about which responsoses get your
tefillah back on trck as quickly as possible. And then of them, which
is the least callous to the collector.

And that's how I got to "answering" him by saying a few words loud enough
for him to hear. It is just as fast and as tefillah-related as ignoring
him, but feels less like a snub, and lets him know he may have a chance
if he swings back later.

Have a Great Month,
and a enlightening and enjoyable Chanukah!

Micha Berger                 Feeling grateful  to or appreciative of  someone
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   or something in your life actually attracts more
Author: Widen Your Tent      of the things that you appreciate and value into
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    your life.         - Christiane Northrup, M.D.