[Avodah] younger teenage boy as the shatz

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Nov 1 13:23:00 PDT 2023

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 06:30:42AM +0200, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> I have noticed that in a number of chareidi shuls that I attend from time
> to time there seems to be a practice that if there is no chiyuv, a younger
> teenage boy goes up as the shatz. I was wondering as to the halachic
> underpinnings of this practice given: "Hence, the chazan must be an
> upright, highly regarded, humble, amiable person, who has a pleasant voice
> and is accustomed to reading the Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim" (Shulchan
> Aruch 53:4)

The SA is talking about hiring a Chazan on a permanen basis. Not an
ad-hoc Shatz the gabbai has to find.

But that only says it's mutar. Doesn't the din for hiring a Chazan
indicate that anyone else would be sub-optimal for a one-time sha"tz?

But there are two counteveiling concerns:

First, we need someone who can grow up comfortable taking the amud
for when he is a zaqein veragil.

Second, we need teens to feel like they belong and are tied into the
shul. Makes sure more of them grow up to be shomerei Torah uMitzvos,
anavim, etc...

(Not sure why you mention Chareidi shuls in particular. Serpharadim
go further, and will put a qatan up for Pesuqei deZimra, Qabbalas
Shabbos, and some eidos -- even Maariv.)

Micha Berger                 Weeds are flowers too
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   once you get to know them.
Author: Widen Your Tent             - Eeyore ("Winnie-the-Pooh" by AA Milne)
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF