[Avodah] younger teenage boy as the shatz

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 21:30:42 PDT 2023

I have noticed that in a number of chareidi shuls that I attend from time
to time there seems to be a practice that if there is no chiyuv, a younger
teenage boy goes up as the shatz. I was wondering as to the halachic
underpinnings of this practice given: “Hence, the chazan must be an
upright, highly regarded, humble, amiable person, who has a pleasant voice
and is accustomed to reading the Torah, Nevi’im and Ketuvim” (Shulchan
Aruch 53:4)

Thoughts?

Hashem Oz Lamo Yiten Hashem Yvarech Et Amo Bashalom
יְֽקֹוָ֗ק עֹ֖ז לְעַמּ֣וֹ יִתֵּ֑ן יְקֹוָ֓ק׀ יְבָרֵ֖ךְ אֶת־עַמּ֣וֹ
בַשָּׁלֽוֹם:

Joel Rich