[Avodah] Amora Differing with Tanna

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 08:26:37 PDT 2023

Rav Elchanan Wasserman in Kovetz Shiurim (Bava Basra 633) quotes the
following in the name of Rav Chaim Soloveitchik

This question I asked my teacher R*’ Chaim Brisker and* he answered, “That
in truth an Amora has the power to disagree with a Tanna. This that we
regularly find the Talmud rejecting the views of an Amora by simply showing
that a Tanna rejects it – that is because as a general rule an Amora did
not disagree with a Tanna. So if the Amora only knew the view of the Tanna
we assume he would not disagree with it. However where we see that an Amora
explicitly disagrees with a Tanna it is possible that the final halacha is
in agreement with the Amora.”

This would seem to be based on the Kesef Mishna.