[Avodah] Berachos on Minhagim

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 14:54:46 PST 2023

I posted
There are many additions found in the ShA that are beyond what is found
in the Gemara, neither are they in the RaMBaM and ought not be considered
binding as Halacha.

R Micha responded
Among Ashkenazim, the line is blurry as we see that we make berakhos - we
say we are sanctified and commanded "Asher QiDeShanu [Sheva Na] BeMitzvosav
VeTziVanu" even for the Minhag of lighting a Menorah in shul on Chanukah.

R Micha proposes that this Minhag is protected by Poreitz Geder YN; but is
it that important?
PGYN is not something that can be applied willy nilly, it is determined by
Chazal and one suspects we are no longer empowered to impose such sanctions.

Furthermore, does this mean that Minhagim for which we do not make such a
Berachah, are not protected with the same intensity, they are of a lower
calibre?

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837