[Avodah] WHAT DOES KAPARAH ACCOMPLISH?

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Thu Sep 21 17:34:55 PDT 2023

RZL:

>> From the fact that in the last case kaparah comes only after one's death,
> we can see that the Rambam's definition of kaparah is not release from
> hardships in this world, but release from punishment in the Afterlife.

Here's an alternative.  Sins, and especially public sins, have negative repercussions as precedents.  "Do you remember when Ploni Almoni got drunk on Shabbos, stole a motorcycle, and went on a joy ride?" As long as people are still talking about it -- and with some envy or admiration -- Ploni has an obligation to the public to make sure they know he's still doing tshuva.

David Riceman