[Avodah] AI and Jewish Law

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 7 13:37:15 PDT 2023

On Thu, Sep 07, 2023 at 02:37:15PM +0000, Broyde, Michael via Avodah wrote:
> I do not think that "how LLM think" is relevant to examining "what they
> think," actually and different people think in different ways.

My point in distinguishing between Artificial Intelligence or as they
now call it "Artificial General Intelligence" and what I would call
Simulated Intelligence is that I am questioning the whole idea that
there is any "thinking" to ask "why" or "how" about.

It is trained to string words together, not to reason about the world.
If there are any logical deductions, they are a side effect of the
words patterns (and meta-patterns and meta-meta-patterns, etc...)
it was trained on usually containing logical arguments.

What a LLM does is so different than thought, the question has to be
asked how and why something that models language can so seem to be
manipulating the ideas that language represents when it isn't.

Micha Berger                 The meaning of life is to find your gift.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   The purpose of life
Author: Widen Your Tent      is to give it away.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                   - Pablo Picasso