[Avodah] codes and organization:

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jul 20 10:40:46 PDT 2023

On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 06:34:05AM +0300, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> I completely agree about the Rambam being a master organizer, the ability
> to intake all of the oral and written law and output an organized, concise
> code is beyond my comprehension.

I am not sure this is a good thing. See Mishnayos. Rebbe resists isolating
each din as far as the Rambam took it.

The first mishnah enters in the middle of the topic of Shema -- not
"do we say it?" but "when?" And then it has to be linked to tum'ah and
kehunah.... Perhaps because the start and end times for Shema only make
sense in relation to other dinim.

Rather than Reductionism, perhaps halakhah cannot be understood until
you see how everything is connected.

>From how I frame them, I don't find your suggestion intuitive.
>
> I have an intuitive sense that having started with the sefer hamitzvot for
> the mishna torah blueprint, his specific rulings were consciously made in
> the context of their impact on every other ruling in the MT...
>
> I'm sure the Tur was also aware of all the TSBP but I wonder if it's in any
> way similar to what some commentators think that Rashi was primarily
> concerned about the specific page in front of him...

What you seem to be saying is that the Rambam, who presents halakhah
in such atomized fashion, is the one who pasqened from a Connectionist
knowledge of the whole.

Whereas the Tur and SA, who use a structure based on the 4 Sedarim of
Talmud Bavli are keeping topics isolated?

Micha Berger                 Zion will be redeemed through justice,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and her returnees, through righteousness.
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF