[Avodah] Kamtza Bar Kamtza - How Much Are The Rabbis to Blame?

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 16:41:12 PDT 2023

The Rabbis placating Agrippa - You ARE our brother, Sota 41
and the terrible consequences the Gemara discusses there

The Maharsha seems to suggest they were technically correct  - the sin had
already been violated because the prohibition is to APPOINT, and he seems
to be implying there was/is no duty to dismiss Agrippa - so they indicated
Agrippa need not fear, they will NOT dismiss him,
Although both Sefaria and AlHaTorah translations offer that the entire
nation were saying You Are Our Brother,
it seems to me that it was the Sages who were being Chonef.

This excuse in fact, likely makes it worse, because a technicality is being
abused - it's not cricket
actually it is worse - it is below the belt
it is using the Torah itself to undermine The Will of HKBH and His Torah
it is making a mockery of HKBH and His Torah.

Seems to the same with D HaMelech who pronounced that the neighbour who
took the sheep deserves to DIE
death is not the punishment for stealing a sheep
but deserving death for the outrage is fair equitable and required in order
to maintain society
that seems to be the spirit of the Law

In the episode with Kamza and bar Kamtza,
When the host discovered his enemy at the party, he insisted he leave.
He refused all entreaties from bar Kamtza to not embarrass him
He refused all offers to pay, even to pay for the entire party.
The Host physically evicted bar Kamtza
who, the Gemara tells us, reflected NOT ABOUT his host
but about the Sages
who were sitting there and did not protest

Is this the intent of the Gemara?
Is this perhaps the MAIN message of the story?

The Sages not only wronged the victim who was publicly humiliated with
their tacit support
they also failed the aggressor; they permitted him to violate another Yid

and they supported this IN PUBLIC
In fact our Sages inflicted a devastating wound upon themselves and those
they are responsible for
and He who they are responsible to

If anything this is the REAL erosion of Torah values
and source of HKBHs anger
and the Churban

Our Sages legitimised abuse of power and influence
of the powerful and wealthy over the weak and vulnerable in society
Those that The Torah repeatedly emphasises, need to be protected

Has anyone seen Meforshim who comment on this perspective?

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837
+61 423 207 837