[Avodah] yuhara

Joshua Meisner jmeisner at gmail.com
Wed May 24 09:16:53 PDT 2023

> On May 24, 2023, at 11:30 AM, Micha Berger via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
>
> The AhS (OC 3:2 <https://www.sefaria.org/Arukh_HaShulchan%2C_Orach_Chaim.3.2>)
> brings up an example of RJR's question. There is a gemara (Shabbos
> 60b) that gives a text to be said to ask leave of one's accompanying
> mal'akhim when going into the bathroom. RYME explains it in se'if 1,
> and then se'if 2 opens "but we aren't nohagim to say it." They, whose
> minds were constantly davuq baH', "yosheiv beseiser elyon", they felt
> the presence of the mal'akhim.
>    ... [H]owever, we can not feel their holiness at all. Our saying
>    this would be considered arrogant and egotistical and it is mechzei
>    keyuhara as well. Certainly the ish qadosh who is involved with Torah
>    in holiness needs to say this, but not us regular people. Vekhein
>    iqar, vekakh

On the bottom of Sukkah 26b, the Gemara re-teitches a mishnah to state that a person is allowed to be machmir on himself to eat achilas arai in a sukkah without a concern of yuhara (I just noticed not mechzei k'yuhara, but that's not the point that I was originally going to make) and then brings a ma'aseh from Rabban Yochanan Ben Zakkai and Rabban Gamliel.  Does this imply that whatever was not yuhara for these Tannaim is automatically not yuhara for us?  Or is the Mishnah stating 1) that it's not yuhara  and 2) unrelated (uma'aseh nami), two Tannaim were machmir in this way?  The second way seems possible but a bit non-intuitive if the chiddush is that les beih mishum yuhara.

Josh