[Avodah] Of Bullseyes, the Korban Cheesecake, and Dairy Bread".

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 22 12:45:39 PDT 2023

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 04:34:29PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> From
> https://ohr.edu/this_week/insights_into_halacha/5154

> It seems that one of the earliest mentions of such a minhag is by the
> great Rema, ... who cites the 'prevailing custom' of eating dairy items
> specifically on Shavuos (OrachChaim 494, 3). Although there are many
> rationales and reasons opined through the ages to explain this custom...

Li nir'eh it didn't start out a minhag. The custom of eating milchigs on
Shavuos started in the same parts of Germany as the non-Jews who would
make Wittesmontag (White Monday) the Monday before their Pentacost.

No, I am not arguing chuqas haaku"m / derekh Emori. Because there is a
logical reason for milchigs parties a couple of months into spring.

First, there is finally grass in the fields. The cows are eating something
more rich than dried hay. Secondly, it's calving season. So, the milk is
rich and flavorful for the first time since mid-autumn. It is only logical
that our ancestors would consider milchig the more celebratory choice.

Then, the rabbanim found meanings one can inculcate through the practice,
and a minhag was born.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 46th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   6 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Netzach sheb'Malchus: How can some forms of
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                       "unity" be over domineering?