[Avodah] V'asu laHEM tsitsis

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 19 07:17:14 PDT 2023

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 04:06:44PM -0400, Zvi Lampel via Avodah wrote:
> (BeMidbar 13: 38 ff.) ''And Hashem said to Moshe, saying, speak to the
> bnei Yisrael and SAY TO THEM: Make for THEM (asu laHEM) tsitsis...And it
> shall be TO YOU v'hayah (laCHEM) for tsitsis...''
>
> Shouldn't it be "Make for YOU (laCHEM)--in the first sentence, as it is in
> the second? Who were they to make them for?

It would seem to read as HQBH telling Moshe to tell them *that* they
should make tzitzis and -- direct quote, no that" -- repeat this
explanation verbatum, "it should be for you..."

Maybe because making tzitzis for the first time will require
demonstration, it couldn't be relayed in words alone. Hashem was telling
Moshe that the words he is to write in the Chumash isn't enough, make
sure there is enough TSBP / halakhah leMoshe miSinai for them to be
able to do it. Or maybe there is some other reason Msohe was given an
idea to relay to the Jews about the making, but the exact words of the
accompanying mussar shmuess.

But I would shift your question from being about the word use to being
about the implications of that word use.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 13th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   1 week and 6 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Yesod sheb'Gevurah: To what extent is judgment
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 necessary for a good relationship?