[Avodah] first to minyan?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 17 15:39:11 PDT 2023

On Wed, Apr 05, 2023 at 05:46:00AM +0300, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> If one has a choice of being one of the first 10 to the minyan or putting
> on taalit and tfillin in the entrance hallway of the building that has the
> shul, which gets priority?

First I was thinking: it depends which area the sho'el needs more work
in. After all, both are "nice to"s, not hard-n-fast halachic requirements.

Then I thought... hmm... putting on one's tallis before entering shul is
from the Ari. Based on but not in the Zohar. And while the Rama calls
it common minhag, the Mechaber, Mehnarshal, Gra, etc... don't consider
donning a tallis before shul all that important. How can it compare to
a desideratum praised in the gemara?

So, let me limit that first impression to tefillin (not tallis) vs being
one of the first ten.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 11th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   1 week and 4 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Netzach sheb'Gevurah: What is imposing about
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                          strict justice?