[Avodah] gedolim

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 19:50:23 PDT 2023

>From Tzarich Iyun blog
1.When Gedolim speak and the public ignores them, the result is disgrace
for Torah and its greatest carriers. I assume that this is often a reason
for the silence of Gedolim. But still, in difficult times, when the entire
community is confused, we can only look to our Sages for advice, hoping to
fulfill the Torah instruction “You shall do all you are instructed to do.”
To do so, we need instruction. We need to hear the voice of the Torah.

2.Although our own government does not necessarily provide justice,
honesty, goodness, and charity, and is certainly not adored by Charedi Jews
living under its rule, it still provides order, ensures compliance with
laws, and does much good besides (including massive support of Torah story).

3.In the meantime, our public cry must continue until we see the whole
community—fixers, politicians, and even talmidei chachamim and Rabbis
joining the cause and working to mend that which requires mending in our
public life.

There’s just so much to discuss on this, but I’ll limit myself to these 3
points
I imagine the response might be that if we were to speak out not only would
Torah be defamed by our being ignored but we would also have lost the
ability to make change where it is possible (halacha in practice imho is a
delicate dance between the leadership and the community – see R’ Henkin’s
hy”d taaroch lfanai shulchan on this element of the aruch hashulchan’s
psak. ) In the outside world personal issues would also be an issue in
positions of authority – who do the gedolim turn to for help with human
blinds spots?

2.We live in a time of public extremes -in practice, either you are unserer
or not. Unfortunately, real life is more nuanced and this is one of the
prices paid.,

3.In the outside world you hear very similar calls in totalitarian states
(e.g. China, Iran) Perhaps it takes a supermajority of brave folks to bring
chang

KT
Joel Rich