[Avodah] awe

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 19:51:24 PDT 2023

When we studied The Rambam’s Sefer Hamitzvot and Hilchot Yesodei Hatora we
found that one of the first mitzvot was yirat shamayim which is often
translated as fear of HKBH but we found it was better translated as a awe
of HKBH.

I came across an interesting new book, “ Awe: The New Science of Everyday
Wonder and How It Can Transform Your Life”, which is reviewed below. From
an orthodox standpoint, I think we would say that HKBH created the world,
and at the highest level, commanded us to maintain a constant state of awe.
(yirah is a mitzva tmidit [constant mitzva] – there are six mitzvot which
the Sefer Hachinuch calls “constant mitzvot which are perpetual and
constant, applicable at all times, all the days of our lives”). This
commanded state of awe will intrinsically have positive effects on us in a
number of aspects of our lives.
Worthwhile to consider in my humble opinion.

Awe: The New Science of Everyday Wonder and How It Can Transform Your Life
Hardcover – January 3, 2023 by Dacher Keltner
Awe is mysterious. How do we begin to quantify the goose bumps we feel when
we see the Grand Canyon, or the utter amazement when we watch a child walk
for the first time? How do you put into words the collective effervescence
of standing in a crowd and singing in unison, or the wonder you feel while
gazing at centuries-old works of art? Up until fifteen years ago, there was
no science of awe, the feeling we experience when we encounter vast
mysteries that transcend our understanding of the world. Scientists were
studying emotions like fear and disgust, emotions that seemed essential to
human survival. Revolutionary thinking, though, has brought into focus how,
through the span of evolution, we’ve met our most basic needs socially.
We’ve survived thanks to our capacities to cooperate, form communities, and
create culture that strengthens our sense of shared identity—actions that
are sparked and spurred by awe.

In Awe, Dacher Keltner presents a radical investigation and deeply personal
inquiry into this elusive emotion. Revealing new research into how awe
transforms our brains and bodies, alongside an examination of awe across
history, culture, and within his own life during a period of grief, Keltner
shows us how cultivating awe in our everyday life leads us to appreciate
what is most humane in our human nature. And during a moment in which our
world feels more divided than ever before, and more imperiled by crises of
different kinds, we are greatly in need of awe. If we open our minds, it is
awe that sharpens our reasoning and orients us toward big ideas and new
insights, that cools our immune system’s inflammation response and
strengthens our bodies. It is awe that activates our inclination to share
and create strong networks, to take actions that are good for the natural
and social world around us. It is awe that transforms who we are, that
inspires the creation of art, music, and religion. At turns radical and
profound, brimming with enlightening and practical insights, Awe is our
field guide, from not only one of the leading voices on the subject but a
fellow seeker of awe in his own right, for how to place awe as a vital
force within our lives.

KT
Joel Rich