[Avodah] HKBH begs Moshe Rabbenu to Understand

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 17:40:02 PDT 2023

And if her father spat in her face would she not be humiliated for seven
days?

Why is HKBH saying this to MR?

Is HKBH not pleading that MR understand that His judgement is fair?
It is certain that MR ACCEPTED the judgement, but HKBH wanted more than
that. HKBH wanted MR to UNDERSTAND that this is fair.

But why? As a courtesy?

Perhaps MR sensed a measure of guilt. Had he advised Tzipporah that he was
undertaking an extra step beyond that of other prophets, then she would not
have made that innocent comment, "I pity the wives of these new prophets."
(Rashi) to Miryam.

Which BTW brings us to another consideration: was Tzipporahs comment also
not a violation of LHara?
Also, did she resent that she did not have a normal family life?

Imagine saying at a wedding of someone who wishes to dedicate their life to
learning Torah, "I don't think she knows what she's getting herself into."