[Avodah] Ashkenazic Pronunciation

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun May 14 05:39:35 PDT 2023

Recently, both R. Micha Berger and R. Meir Shinnar have posted on this topic.  I would like to add the following:

When I lived in Elizabeth, NJ (1968 - 1974) Rav P. M. Teitz stopped someone who was davening for the Amud using Israeli pronunciation and said, "You can pronounce any word you want with Israeli pronunciation. However, you must pronounce HaShem's name with Ashkenaz pronunciation."

Rabbi Dr. Joel Rosenschein, who started Petach, told me that when he lived in Boro Park he davened at a minyan in which the Baal Kriah used Israeli pronunciation. When Rav Moshe Feinstein was asked about this, he said that either the Baal Kriah had to use Ashkenaz pronunciation or stop leining.

Professor Yitzchok Levine