[Avodah] What really happened just before leaving Egypt?

Brent Kaufman cbkaufman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 11:12:58 PDT 2023

What really happened on the night of the first Seder/Makos Bechoros?
The family is sitting around the table all night long, having finished the
korbon at midnight, hearing screaming all around them. They're sitting
ready to go, staff in hand, shoes on, girded for a long walk. Any minute
they'll be told to get out. Hours go by, the women start unpacking their
baking utensils while the men are looking at them like they're crazy. 10
minutes, not much more, later, they're told to get out NOW! At that moment,
all over Egypt, one question was being asked, "Well, who told you to start
baking now?! Hurry up, we're going to be late." (Jews weren't the first
ones to say the latter. I think it was Adam to Chava while leaving Gan
Eden.) The question is, how many women did this, for the Torah to make a
general blanket statement, (about the women starting to make bread but
didn't have time...) that this is why we eat matzah? And why did they do
it, in the first place, and not prepare from the day before? There are
Medrashim that say we left Mitzrayim in the zechus of the emunah of the
women. Does this show the opposite of that?

Chaimbaruch Kaufman