[Avodah] "Reward" For Learning

Chana Luntz Chana at kolsassoon.org.uk
Fri Mar 31 04:40:39 PDT 2023

RJR wrote:

<<To a maggid shiur:
Your recent class was on the topic of ?reward? for sponsoring a shiur is on
a topic that I find fascinating. In particular, it has always seemed to me
that the dedication of already scheduled learning is certainly a charitable
act to be encouraged. Of course, I am not God?s accountant, but it doesn?t
seem that the reward for learning Torah in that case would be transferable,
except perhaps to the extent that more people attend due to the dedication.
I have to wonder though do any local Rabbis point that out to sponsors?
Your thoughts?>>

Are you not in this piece directly contradicting the Gemara in Sotah 21a-b
and Brachot 17a in relation to women, not to mention thousands of
apologetics? The Gemara would seem to clearly contemplate that the reward
for learning Torah specifically is transferable to/shared with the wives and
mothers of those doing the learning (even ones that commit adultery).  That
is, with regard to Torah learning specifically, the enabling of learning and
the idea of consequent reward has a very long history (see also the
Yissachar/Zevulin sources)

>Joel Rich

Regards

Chana