[Avodah] "Reward" For Learning

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 17 06:45:05 PDT 2023

On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 08:19:52AM +0200, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> To a maggid shiur:
> Your recent class was on the topic of "reward" for sponsoring a shiur is on
> a topic that I find fascinating... I am not God's accountant, but it doesn't
> seem that the reward for learning Torah in that case would be transferable,
> except perhaps to the extent that more people attend due to the dedication.

Perhaps:

This shiur was going to happen either way. Although I see the point about
having more money to market the shiur, provide those "light refreshments"
or in other ways encourage more people to come.

But what about the next shiur? Said maggid shiur has to put food on the
table. Or at the very least, has to prioritize his various projects and a
lack of sponsorship feels like it is flagging a lack of interest. If
this shiur isn't properly sponsored, how much less likely is the next
shiur?

So, *perhaps* we should talk more about the sponsor's sekhar of causing

And now for the nitpicky tangent:

"Transferable" isn't a perfect term. When you light one candle from
another, you aren't usually putting the first flame out. It isn't being
"transfered" from wick to wick.

I don't think too many people say the world's Yissochors lose sekhar for
not being self-supporting, sekhar that is being transfered to the Zevulun.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 The thought of happiness that comes from outside
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   the person, brings him sadness. But realizing
Author: Widen Your Tent      the value of one's will and the freedom brought
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    by uplifting its, brings great joy. - R' Kook