[Avodah] Why remove drops from Cup; Ought the cup be topped up?

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Fri Mar 24 11:47:14 PDT 2023

I see an interesting symbolism here. First we remove the 16 drops of wine from the Kos and then according to some, we replace the wine that was spilled. What I see here is that when something is lost or taken away, the optimist is able to replace what was lost. Obviously, the actual wine that was removed cannot be added but new wine is replaced. So when we experience a loss, we replace it with something to ease the original loss. Another way of putting it, we replace a negative by putting back a positive.