[Avodah] Why remove drops from Cup; Ought the cup be topped up?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 23 10:23:30 PDT 2023

I saw a pretty complete discussion of the late origins of the idea
that the spilled wine is to mourn the fact that Yetzi'as Mitzrayim
had to inolve the suffering and death of so many Egyptians at a
web site I try to avoid linking to:
https://www.thetorah.com/article/spilling-wine-while-reciting-the-plagues-to-diminish-our-joy

That said, you will note that the idea really caught on among
more recent acharonim.

In the past, this discussion ends up at an impasse, where I show the
idea of compassion for our enemies has strong support in the Torah,
so we cannot say the idea is inherently unOrthodox. But we can't
say much more than that about it. I posted my impressions of one
such conversation (a lot of who posted what source) at
https://aspaqlaria.aishdas.org/2014/01/08/compassion-for-our-enemies

Chodesh Tov!

Micha Berger                 "Fortunate indeed, is the man who takes
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   exactly the right measure of himself,  and
Author: Widen Your Tent      holds a just balance between what he can
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    acquire and what he can use." - Peter Latham