[Avodah] taker but not giver

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Feb 7 17:36:18 PST 2023

On Tue, Feb 07, 2023 at 03:31:45PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> If that were so, then it would have applied in equal force before 1800.

Tosafos on Shabbos 19a "nosenin" hold that mishum eiva permits a shevus.
Similarly the Meiri on Beitzah 21b.

But for deOraisos, you are correct, the first sources I can find are
after the fall of the ghetto walls. But not sure why I am not to take
the word of 2 centuries of posqim just because you assert "This is simply
not true."

The Rashba (Teshuvos 5:250) quotes Abayei as the source of the idea we
attributed to the Rambam, that "kol haTorah nami mipenei Tarchei Shalom hu,
shene'emar 'derakheha..'"

Micha Berger                 "The worst thing that can happen to a
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   person is to remain asleep and untamed."
Author: Widen Your Tent             - Rabbi Simcha Zissel Ziv, Alter of Kelm
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF