[Avodah] Tachanun issues

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:48:41 PST 2023

.
R' Joel Rich asked:

> Any sources on the reasoning of not saying tachanun at mincha
> on the day before a day we don’t say it?

I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a footnote in a sefer on
Aveilus which referenced a posek who held that an aveil should not be shatz
at mincha on Erev Shabbos, but *could* on Shabbos mincha.

The logic, it seems, is that there is a certain joy and excitement PRIOR to
an event which is much smaller when the event is leaving or has passed. We
see this in the common practice of skipping tachanun *prior* to a bris
mila, but saying it *afterward*

> Any sources on the reasoning why ... the days of not saying
> tachanun are not aligned 100% with laminatzeach and keil erech apaim?

If I knew why we skip them at all, then I could answer you better. But I
don't know why we skip them, other than a guess that these tefilos are
simcha-averse (whatever that might mean), and that tachanun is
simcha-averse to a greater degree (i.e., gets skipped even for a small
simcha), and lam'natze'ach is simcha-averse to a lesser degree (i.e., gets
skipped only for a larger simcha).

Somewhat relevant: Some say Tehillim daily, according to a set schedule,
such as going through the whole sefer over the course of a week, or over
the course of a month. In fact, most Tehillims are labelled to show which
are said on day N. Curiously, those who do this end up saying certain
chapters on a given day, even though that chapter was skipped in Shacharis.
The simplest example is Tehillim 6, a.k.a. Tachanun, which is said on the
first day of the month, which is always Rosh Chodesh. (Bonus question: On
the last day of the month, does one need to repeat #145-150, given that he
already said them at Shacharis? Enquiring minds want to know!)

Akiva Miller