[Avodah] Midvar Sheker - Peripherals

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 08:23:42 PST 2023

Rbt ChL says – There are lots of cases in halacha where there is a conflict
between truth and some other value – that is true but we are not discussing
that, in those cases there is no negative impact upon anyone; we are
discussing where that distortion will have a negative impact upon someone
and EVEN if our distortion helps them avoid saying a lie and swearing a
false oath.

I think this falls into that which Chazal said, You have no business in
those matters that are concealed from you – when the King was advised that
he would die because he did not marry and have children and the Kings
defence that he foresaw his children would be Reshaim was rebuffed. You do
as you are instructed. Do not think you can make better decisions than HKBH.

As for Shlomo HaMelech distorting the truth by threatening to cut the baby
- I do not understand Rbt ChL response – Shlomo haMelech would presumably
have been dispensing din Melech – But how does that exempt him from Midvar
Sheker Tirchak? Is it only a problem in BD?

R ZS wrote – another example of distortion, Moshe's continuing pretense to
Par'oh that all he wanted was a three-day expedition into the desert, with
the clear implication (though never explicitly stated) that then we'd
return to work.
It is not a problem to say, it is raining cats and dogs; similarly when MR
said to P we just want 3 days and I promise we are coming back to be your
slaves – it was an obvious euphemism and P understood quite well what was
going to happen.

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837