[Avodah] taker but not giver?

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:06:00 PST 2023

.
R' Meir Shinnar wrote:
> Ignoring for a moment moral issues, but on practical consequences;
> ... They called in Rav Moshe Tendler for advice, who told them Rav
> Moshe's position. In Russia, if word got out a Jew did not treat
> non Jews on shabbat, the entire Jewish community of that town would
> be wiped out. Therefore, heter of darche shalom clearly applies

R' Micha Berger responded:
> Except that R Aharon Lichtenstein's argument that "darkhei
> shalom" isn't about "practical considerations" is pretty compelling.
> ... Rambam (Hilkhos Melahim 10:12): ... For it says, "Hashem is good
> to all, and His Mercy is on all that He made." ...
> Darkhei Shalom is nothing less fundamental than the fulfilment of
> emulating the Borei and following the ways of the Torah.

It seems to me that the views in the first paragraph demonstrate that
practical considerations will justify medical procedures that would
otherwise constitute Chilul Shabbos.

R Micha's response surely shows the importance of good relations with our
non-Jewish neighbors, but does that argument rise to the level of
justifying Chilul Shabbos?

Akiva Miller