[Avodah] Sheqel Kesef Coins in Anitiquity

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 17 10:11:54 PST 2023

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 11:23:48AM +1100, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
> The Medrash Yulkut describes this minted coin as fulfillment of HKBHs
> promise - I WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS, one of those three blessings, designed to
> neutralise the expected negative effects of leaving ones home and trying to
> settle in a new place.

What is greater fame? That your contemporaries know how great you are?
Or that hundreds or thousands of years later, you are still remembered
for your greatness?

The coins being minted centuries later are a greater fulfillment of the
promise. (For that matter, saying Birkhas Avos and "Magein Avraham" at
least 3 times a day for 2-1/2 millennia and counting is yet greater.)

> There does not seem to be much point in offering a band-aid many years
> AFTER the Makka...

Who said this heals the makka? Rather, it shows that the tribulations
our ancestors went through had a purpose and came with a berakhah.

Micha Berger                 "And you shall love H' your G-d with your whole
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   heart, your entire soul, and all you own."
Author: Widen Your Tent      Love is not two who look at each other,
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    It is two who look in the same direction.