[Avodah] Sheqel Kesef Coins in Anitiquity

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 16:23:48 PST 2023

Reb Micha asked; Does it say anywhere that the coins were made in their era?

It seems that the Medrash understands that the coins were minted in his
lifetime, indeed, even early in his lifetime, when he was tested to leave
his father's house.

See Rashi beginning Lech LeCha - travelling A] disrupts family life, B] it
reduces one's wealth and C] lessens one's renown. Therefore these three
blessings - children, wealth and a sterling reputation, neutralised them
all (Genesis Rabbah 39:11)

The Medrash Yulkut describes this minted coin as fulfillment of HKBHs
promise - I WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS, one of those three blessings, designed to
neutralise the expected negative effects of leaving ones home and trying to
settle in a new place.

There does not seem to be much point in offering a band-aid many years
AFTER the Makka, that will not help address the trouble associated with
leaving home. I suppose one might say that he was so famous that even many
years later he was commemorated with a minted coin.

BTW leaving home in those days [less so these days when the first Q asked
is Funn Vannent Kumt a Yid? it is the equivalent of a diplomat presenting
credentials - Ah so you must know so and so - which is a politely veiled
message that we can find out all about you, you have no secrets from us.]

When no one knows you, who will trust you? Who will offer you any credit?
Everyone is thinking why would a sane person leave a comfortable life and
risk so much. Is he an axe murderer? What is he running away from?

Best,

Meir G. Rabi

0423 207 837
+61 423 207 837