[Avodah] Subjectivity-from the OU

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 10 13:29:06 PST 2023

On Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 06:38:56PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> But the Torah doesn't say that.  It says "don't disgust *yourselves*...

I didn't think "teshaqtzu" was hitpa'el. I would have taitched "don't
be disgusting". Being, not doing, but also no emphasis on one's own
impressions of what is or isn't disgusting.

But your examples of pushing oneself to do something disgusting "on
a dare" of because you're hungry enough do address my question about
when would a subjective standard of gross ever apply to a person's own
actions. I pictured a person always redefining disgustingness before
acting that way.

Micha Berger                 "As long as the candle is still burning,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   it is still possible to accomplish and to
Author: Widen Your Tent      mend."
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF        - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter