[Avodah] evolving ethics?

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 11:24:45 PST 2022

.
R' Micha Berger wrote:

> So even without the Chinukh, simply working from first
> principles, it is more in conformity with the din to conclude
> that the problem is an eved kenaani who was freed would too
> likely become a Jew who reverts to AZ. After all, this is why
> Chazal talk about the sexual license he had in his slavery
> years, to explain why being freed isn't a case of zakhin
> le'adam. Shichrur the only case of "geirus" without the
> prerequisite of qabbalas ol mitzvos. And that's dangerous.

Is that really how it works? I recall something to the effect that upon
being purchased as an eved, the kenaani has to willingly accept the
negative mitzvos, and if he initially refuses, he is given up to a year to
decide, after which he must be let go.

If so, then in the case of a regular eved kenaani who DID accept, then I
don't see any difference (in AZ or arayos or any other lav) between his
slavery years and after being freed.

OTOH, maybe I'm being too technical. Even if an eved kenaani does
need qabbalas ol mitzvos, it's certainly not very l'shem shamayim, he's not
as enthusiastic as a regular ger. So when he is freed and has no master
watching over him, Chazal were justifiably afraid that he'd lapse back.

Akiva Miller