[Avodah] RYochanan RLakish and RElozor Asking Qs Rebuke

Arie Folger arie.folger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 09:39:03 PST 2022

RMRabi wrote:
> It seems that when the Navi rebukes Dovid HaMelech
> for the incident with BSheva, that only someone who
> is both blind and insensitive, an absolute narcissist,
> could fail to understand the meaning behind the Mashal
> even before the Navi is halfway through it. Learning
> this episode, even little kids can see what is coming,
> and are cringing - and yet the great king failed to see
> and needed to be told ?You are that man.?

Was David being narcissistic? Did he fail to understand the metaphor? I
don't think so.  I think David definitely understood Nathan, but ever so
slightly misinterpreted it. For David, he was himself the poor man,  the
"sheep" was Michal, and the wealthy man talking away the poor man's wife
was Shaul. David understood very well that this was a metaphor about
injustice,  which makes Nathan's response "atah haish" all the more
poignant,  as it turns the tables on David.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Yours sincerely,

Arie Folger