[Avodah] eulogy?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 29 07:38:04 PDT 2022

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 09:23:20AM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> The gemara (Sanhedrin 47a) says it's a good sign for the departed if they
> are not properly eulogized (apparently it's a "punishment"). If so, why
> don't we see more people requesting they not be eulogized?

Is it a good sign if it's orchestrated by the niftar, or only if
min hashamayim?

Seems moderately related:
I am reminded of the Or haChaim on throwing Yosef in a pit vs
killing him outright. Once someone's free will has to be accomodated,
hashgachah may not be absolute. (Or, one could say: it is absolute,
and part of what H' works out to happen is respecting bechirah
chofshi.)

GCT!

Micha Berger                 It's nice to be smart,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but it's smarter to be nice.
Author: Widen Your Tent                      - R' Lazer Brody
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF