[Avodah] Is a psak forever?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 13 11:24:09 PDT 2022

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 04:59:45PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> Is a psak forever? Example- a pulpit rabbi holds a unique lenient position
> concerning grama on Shabbat. After his retirement, is every future
> congregant (and Rabbi) "bound" by that leniency? Are members of that
> congregation bound to inform visitors of their utilization of the leniency?

I already replied:
> I don't have a formal answer to your question. I can only say that in
> practice, I've seen new LORs respect the ruling of their predecessor
> for the first several years.

A recent Arukh haShulchan Yomi <http://aishdas.org/ahs-yomi>, Orakh
Chaim 530:4 <https://www.sefaria.org/Arukh_HaShulchan,_Orach_Chaim_530.4>
may well be a data point.

R Yechiel Michl Epstein is writing about the need, as times, to shore up
honoring and observing chol hamo'eid.

At the end of the se'if (and siman), he writes:
    And it is appropriate for a Chakham to strengthen the prohibition
    of melakhah, if he has the ability. And if one chakham prohibits,
    another lacks the ability to permit it for them. (Ibid. [i.e. see
    Magein Avraham <https://www.sefaria.org/Shulchan_Arukh%2C_Orach_Chayim.530.1?p2=Magen_Avraham.530.1>])

Micha Berger                 Between stimulus & response, there is a space.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   In that space is our power to choose our
Author: Widen Your Tent      response. In our response lies our growth
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    and our freedom. - Victor Frankl, (MSfM)