[Avodah] Is a psak forever?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Sep 7 13:40:59 PDT 2022

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 04:59:45PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> Is a psak forever? Example- a pulpit rabbi holds a unique lenient position
> concerning grama on Shabbat. After his retirement, is every future
> congregant (and Rabbi) "bound" by that leniency? Are members of that
> congregation bound to inform visitors of their utilization of the leniency?

I don't have a formal answer to your question. I can only say that in
practice, I've seen new LORs respect the ruling of their predecessor
for the first several years.

And only once the congregation has put the previous rabbi into their
past do the rulings slowly start changing.

You also raise the perennial question of how to decide whether we are
discussing mainline vs chumerah or discussing qulah vs mainline. It would
seem like we would expect chumeros to outlast qulos, kind of like the
community were "shavya alei". But how do you know which leniencies are
"qulos" as opposed to just a lack of chumerah?

Micha Berger                 One who kills his inclination is as though he
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   brought an offering. But to bring an offering,
Author: Widen Your Tent      you must know where to slaughter and what
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    parts to offer.        - R' Simcha Zissel Ziv