[Avodah] Bias kulchem (and rubo k'kulo)

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 19:23:00 PDT 2022

According to the people quoted in these articles
https://afbiu.org/news/biu-futurist-predictions
https://www.algemeiner.com/2022/08/02/according-to-demographic-numbers-israel-will-become-the-center-of-jewish-life/
within the next 30 years, two-thirds of world Jewry will be living in Eretz
Yisrael.

I am not aware of any significance to the number 2/3, but it is my
understanding that if half of world Jewry would be in Eretz Yisrael, that
would be of *great* halachic significance. Without getting into details,
many halachos which are currently d'rabanan would acquire d'Oraisa status,
which would in turn affect many details of those areas. And if I'm not
mistaken, some halachos which are at only a minhag level (or
non-operational entirely) would similarly become more important.

My question here is NOT about which halachos are in these categories.

My question is: Are the gedolim discussing this stuff? As I see it, there
are at least two different questions they need to consider:

1) Exactly which halachos will change?

2) Perhaps more importantly: How will we know when this occurs? Which
statistics will be considered for this question? Which demographers will we
listen to?

I think we are all painfully aware of how little our brothers and sisters
know about being Jewish. So many don't even know themselves whether they
are Jewish by *any* definition. So how can WE know how many Jews are in the
world?

There have been many similar articles in recent years about Israel becoming
the center of Jewish population. What makes these two (the ones I linked to
above) different is that the other articles are about reaching the halfway
point, and now they're talking about two-thirds. It makes me wonder if we
might already have passed the halfway point, at least according to some
calculations. This is what makes me want to know what the gedolim are
thinking.

Akiva Miller