[Avodah] free will vs hashgacha

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 08:55:09 PDT 2022

I note the use of singular nouns in the phrases "an outcome" and "which
one" and "that specific result", as if there is only one goal (or a small
set of goals) the God is aiming for. This goes directly against what I was
taught, that when God makes His plans, He considers ALL the outcomes and
results, even the very smallest of side effects and collateral results
which that plan will cause. "Butterfly effect" indeed! I am confident that
He chooses whichever plan will cause exactly those effects that He is
desirous of, and nothing that He does not want.
I'm discussing  a case where HKBH has to intervene so that a desired end be
accomplished (thought experiment - the sum total of everyone's free choice
would result in the annihilation of the Jewish people (lo aleinu) - how
does hkbh intervene to ensure this doesn't happen?)
KT
Joel Rich